What is SIAMS?
Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools (SIAMS) inspections under section 48 of the Education Act 2005.
What is the purpose of a SIAMS inspection?
The purpose of a SIAMS inspection is:
- to provide an evaluation of the impact of the school’s distinctively Christian vision for the governing body, multi-academy trust, the school, parents, diocese/district, Church of England Education Office, Methodist Church and the wider public
- to meet the requirements of section 48 of the Education Act 2005 for schools which have a religious character
- to make a significant contribution to the improvement of church schools.
What will a SIAMS inspection focus upon?
- The impact that the Christian vision of the school has on pupils and adults.
- Exploring the school’s Christian vision, the provision the school makes because of this vision and how effective this provision is in enabling all pupils to flourish.
- Measuring effectiveness by means of a variety of strategies, approaches and styles which reflect the school’s local context or church tradition.
- A diagnosis of how the school has a positive impact on pupils and adults.
How will the inspection be measured?
The inspection will focus on one question:
How effective is the school’s distinctive Christian vision, established and promoted by leadership at all levels, in enabling pupils and adults to flourish?
This is explored through seven strands:
- Vision and Leadership
- Wisdom, Knowledge and Skills
- Character Development: Hope, Aspiration and Courageous Advocacy
- Community and Living Well Together
- Dignity and Respect
- The impact of collective worship
- The effectiveness of religious education
One overall grade is awarded reflecting the contribution of these strands to the flourishing of pupils and adults in a church school. In addition, a standalone grade is awarded in all schools for collective worship and in voluntary aided (VA) schools and former VA schools for religious education (RE). This grade is based solely on the quality of teaching and learning in RE.
Further information can be found here https://www.churchofengland.org/education/church-schools-academies/siams-school-inspections.aspx