6th Form Induction
Sixth Form Induction Day 2017
This is a brief summary of the information given to students on induction day. In addition a parent’s welcome evening will be held early in the Autumn term. There will be an opportunity to meet tutors and ask questions. If there are any further questions to not hesitate to contact a member of the Sixth Form team.
All students have been allocated to a tutor group and we will display the tutor lists on Enrolment Day.
6th-Form Enrollment Day - Tuesday 4th September 2018
GCSE Results Day 23th August 2018
- You will be looked after by the Key Stage 4 team as you collect your results.
- Mr Dusterhoft will be in attendance to deal with urgent enquiries only.
- Requests to make changes to programmes of study will be dealt with on our Sixth Form Enrolment Day.
- Make sure that you keep your results printout safe, you will need it on Enrolment Day.
What if my results are not as expected?
- If your results are better than expected and you wish to make a change to your programme of study, you can do this on enrolment day.
- If you haven`t quite achieved the grades that you need, it is important that you do not worry – there is always a solution and on enrolment day all of our Heads of Department and the Sixth Form team will be on hand to help you.
- The offer that you have been made is not final until your final GCSE grades have been finalised so there is plenty of time to make changes.
What do I need to do before Enrolment Day?
- Calculate your Average Points Score using our point’s calculator on our Sixth Form pages of the school website.
- Check your score and grades against the entry requirements for the subjects you wish to take.
- It may be useful at this point to take another look at the subjects on offer, especially if you think you either need to make a change or if you have changed your mind.
Enrolment Day – IMPORTANT - PLEASE BRING YOUR RESULTS PRINTOUT!!!
- Arrive 09:00 – you will be seen on a first come, first served basis.
- Do expect to have to wait around for a little while. Make sure that you have something to keep yourself amused while you are waiting.
- Please be prepared to be patient, you will need to speak with each Head of Department for the subjects you wish to follow.
What will I do on Enrolment Day?
You will need to:
- Arrive in school at 09:00 and sign in. There will be a signing in desk in the sixth form common room.
- Collect an enrolment form.
- Complete the form using your results printout – don`t guess.
- Get a signature from the Head of Department for each subject – by signing they are agreeing to take you onto their course.
- Once all of the signatures (3 are needed) you need to get your fully completed form signed by Mr Dusterhoft, Mrs Stewart, Mrs Fish or Mrs McNaughton.
- Once you have handed your form in you can go home and we will see you at 08:50 on enrollment day to begin your Sixth Form journey.
Your support team:
Mr Dusterhoft (Head of Sixth Form)
Mrs McNaughton (Head of Year)
Mrs Stewart (Head of Year)
Mrs Brooks (Careers)
Mrs Fish (Sixth Form Administrator)
A few rules
There are more that we will share with you in September, these are to ensure that you know what is expected of you in your first couple of days.
Although we do not have a dress code, we do not allow visible piercings or tattoos and hair must be of a natural tone. Students must also dress casually but appropriately for the school environment, footwear must be safe (no flip flops please).
- Year 12 students are not allowed to bring cars on to the school site.
- Students may request permission to come to school on a moped/scooter. A formal letter requesting permission must be sent to Mr Gray (Head teacher).
The School Day
- The school day is 08:50 – 15:00.
- Students register with their tutors twice a day.
- Students are not permitted to leave the school site during the day.
- Students can leave for medical appointments etc. but need to request permission from their Head of Year in advance of the appointment.
How to be a role model around school
- You are a role model – right from today!!!
- No mobile phone use outside of the 6th form area without permission from subject teacher.
- Headphones are not to be worn around school or in lessons.
- Head gear is only permitted in poor/hot weather and is to be removed inside.
- We do not wish to see large amounts of flesh on display!
- Be cautious – a job where you are required to do one/two shifts per week, mainly at weekends is beneficial. However, 3-5 shifts per week at Waitrose is very likely to harm your academic performance.
Bring your own device
- We encourage you to use technology for learning when appropriate, you are welcome to bring in your own devices.
- Use your smart phone to get organised.
Sixth Form Bursary
- Can be awarded in cases of financial hardship, please speak to Mrs Fish, Mr Dusterhoft or Mrs McNaughton if you think you might be eligible.
- (when you are not in lessons) - You will be supervised in our silent study area while you develop as an independent learner.
- You can request permission to work outside of the study area if you need to work collaboratively.